GICIYE HPP I

The Giciye hydropower plant I is situated on the Giciye River in the Western province in the district of Nyabihu near the Rubaya and Nyabihu tea gardens, on the Karago – Karaya junction was started in 2012.

The power plant, which is operational since June 2014, supplies 4 MW to the national grid. This power plant impacted the surrounding communities since its inception by providing regular employment to an average 600 casual workers a day.

It is important to note that employees’ salaries and purchase of materials to be used during civil works accounted for 75 % of the project expenditures. The remaining 25 % was spent on purchase of electro-mechanical equipment.

This hydropower plant helps decrease emission of carbon dioxide in the air to benefit the global community at large for a safer environment for future generations.


Copyight © 2017 - RWANDA MOUNTAIN TEA Ltd - All Rights Reserved